z22se -> z20leh speedo fault

Forumindex Forums Techniek C20let / z20let(2.0 16v turbo) z22se -> z20leh speedo fault

• Dit onderwerp is leeg.
15 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 15 (van in totaal 15)
  • Auteur
    dedko

After my long ordeal with converting from z22se to z20leh, I have a just one major problem. Everything seems to work ok, except for the tacho. I get benzine level, RPM needle goes up and down with the accelerator pedal, but no speed. The speed needle just sits at zero kmh.

Symptoms:

• Multifunction display cannot calculate any distance, average speed, l/100, etc.

• ABS light and traction-control light are always on.

• Speedo needle always sits at 0km/h.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

KiLLaHeRTz

I believe that the speed calculation comes from the ABS system, if the ABS system has an error, the speed can’t be calculated and the needle doesn’t move.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Baas J.
        Deelnemer

Which fault codes are stored in the ecu?

Perhaps a dumb remark… but did you connect the connectors in the wheelarch behind the frontwheels when you swapped the enginebayloom from z22se to z20let? When they are not connected no speed signal is given to both tacho and MID. This also would light up the ABS and TC light.

dedko

I bought a second-hand ABS pump for a z20let and had it fitted today. The ABS and TC light are gone.
            But, still the speedo does not work.

The original mechanic (who did the engine conversion) kept the original z22se hubs and part of the z22se loom.

Do I need to remove the hubs and fit hubs from a z20let?

Baas J.
            Deelnemer

No that is not necessary, hubs are the same as is the wiring.

Did the tachoneedle work before the conversion? Can you put another tacho unit in your car just to check if its not the speedo itself..

dedko

Yeah, the tachoneedle definitely worked before the conversion. The whole tachounit is the original that was already in my car, when it was a z22se.

dedko

The car’s back in Amsterdam now. I was wondering if you guys might recommend a mechanic near Amsterdam who could have a look at the problem?

Baas J.
                  Deelnemer

Its too bad you are so far from here as I’d be happy to take a look at it.

OPCdriver

Interesing swap ,
                      I might be able to help you but not this weekend though , as track official
                      i’m at the DR88 dragraces , but next weekend could be an option.

dedko

@OPCdriver wrote:

Interesing swap ,
                        I might be able to help you but not this weekend though , as track official
                        i’m at the DR88 dragraces , but next weekend could be an option.

Thanks mate! I’ll send you a PM and arrange a meeting.

Baas J.
                        Deelnemer

Any news regarding this matter?

dedko

I met up with OPCdriver on Saturday and had a long chat about possible options. One concern was that the ECU did not show an error message when we checked it. So I took the car to Opel at lunch today and asked them to have a look:

They found find only one error code from the car and no other errors or messages:

C0040 - Right Front Wheel Speed Circuit Malfunction

This suggests that there is one (or more) issue(s) with the hub, abs-pump unit or the wires.

Baas J.
                            Deelnemer

Keep us posted…I’m really curious about what is causing your problem!

dedko

It’s been a long time since I updated you guys. My car was in the UK for a few weeks while I was on vacation. After much searching, I found a UK mechanic who works with tuned-up Vauxhalls. He had a look, did some work and now he doesn’t answer my calls. The last conversation I had with him is as follows:

The front right hand side (passenger side) hub was replaced. It was cracked and there was no current going to the sensor. Therefore, the sensor had no power and could not send a signal to the ABS pump unit.

After replacing the hub, the speedo worked … sort of. It showed speed upto about 50km/h (approx) and then dropped to zero and stopped working. After he reset the ECU error codes (I don’t know what error numbers) it worked again up to 50km/h (approx). The problem was there is too much difference in speed from the 4 hubs. The mechanic said to replace the ABS unit with one from a z20let. He didn’t have time to obtain and replace the hub himself. I took back my car under the agreement that he would get the ABS unit for me. He doesn’t answer my phone calls and often it goes to voicemail. :???:

I don’t know much about the ABS electronics and hub sensors, but I think the new hub is not quite the same as the other hubs and therefore gives a different speed signal. :hmmz

So, the car’s back in Amsterdam and tomorrow a Dutch mechanic (a friend of somebody on opel-forum) will try to fix the situation.

Baas J.
                                Deelnemer

Ok, nice to hear you have some kind of progress. I will keep follwoing this thread. keep us posted!

15 berichten aan het bekijken - 1 tot 15 (van in totaal 15)
                                • Je moet ingelogd zijn om een antwoord op dit onderwerp te kunnen geven.